The NERC Organization Certification Process, detailed in Appendix 5A of the NERC Rules of Procedure, serves to ensure that the entity initially applying to be a Balancing Authority (BA), Reliability Coordinator (RC), or Transmission Operator (TOP) has the tools, processes, training, and procedures in place to operate reliably. Such an entity will demonstrate the ability to remain compliant with all of the NERC Reliability Standards applicable to the function(s) for which it wishes to perform by undergoing a Full Certification.
A Certification Review will be conducted when an already operating and certified RC, BA, or TOP makes certain changes. Examples of changes that usually constitute the need for a Certification Review include:
- Changes to a Registered Entity’s Footprint or operational challenges caused by the footprint change
- Organization restructuring that could impact the BPS reliability
- Relocation of the control center
- Changes to Registered Entity ownership requiring major operating procedure changes
- Significant changes to JRO/CFR assignments or changes to the agreements themselves
- Addition or removal of member JRO/CFR utilities or entities
- Complete replacement of SCADA/EMS system
To initiate the Texas RE Certification or Certification Review Process, the applicant will complete the New Entity Certification Application or the Certification Review Application and send to Texas RE Registration. Upon receipt, Texas RE will review the application, and if it is accepted, will establish a timeline, including deadlines, with the organization.
If you have any questions concerning registration or certification, please contact Abby Fellinger at 512-583-4927 or send an email to Texas RE Registration.